Monday 29 August 2011

Tyler, The Creator Nabs Best New Artist VMA

'I'm about to cry,' Odd Future MC says during profanity-laden acceptance speech.
By Amy Wilkinson


Tyler, the Creator at the 2011 VMAs
Photo: FilmMagic

MTV Video Music Awards voters went bonkers for "Yonkers," or more specifically, its creator, Tyler, the Creator, awarding the young MC with the night's Best New Artist Moonman.

After a jubilant hug from his mother, Tyler rushed the stage to nab his statue from presenters Taylor Lautner and Selena Gomez. Joined by his group, Odd Future, the MC offered an excited, yet expletive-laden acceptance speech.

"Yo, I'm excited as f--- right now, yo," he said. "I wanted this sh-- since I was nine. I'm about to cry. This is for my little brother Earl [Sweatshirt]. He's not here right now. I really can't believe I'm here right now. I didn't write a thank you speech. I don't know. F---. To all the kids watching, you can do this sh--. Thank you."

Tyler directed the black-and-white video -- from his second solo album, Goblin -- using the name Wolf Haley.

The 20-year-old beat out fellow Best New Artist nominees Big Sean ("My Last," featuring Chris Brown), Foster the People ("Pumped Up Kicks"), Kreayshawn ("Gucci Gucci") and Wiz Khalifa ("Black and Yellow").

Tyler was also nominated for Video of the Year (it went to Katy Perry's "Firework"), and he caused a stir during the VMA Pre-Show when he took a stab at fellow nominee Bruno Mars. When asked about the possibility of the "Grenade" singer besting him for the honor, Tyler said, "I might kill myself."

The 28th annual MTV Video Music Awards have wrapped, but the real action is just getting started! Stick with MTV News for winners, fashion pics, video and behind-the-scenes stories about everything that went down. Visit VMA.MTV.com for the latest.

Related Videos Related Photos Related Artists

Source: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/MTVNewsLatest/~3/OlXcq47P5eQ/tyler-the-creator-vma-best-new-artist.jhtml

Lil Wayne Movie Trailers Lady Gaga Jay Z

No comments:

Post a Comment